Twin Lifetimes

Responding to Kottke, Timeline twins, music and movies.
Listening to Michael Jackson's Thriller today is equivalent to listening to Elvis Presley's first album (1956) at the time of Thriller's release in 1982.
I have played with that with my birthday and world ways. Being born in 1959, only 14 years had passed since the end of the war. So I had my first natural twin at age 14. My next twin was at age 20, matching the start of the war.

1918 - the end of the first world war - is 41 years from 1959, something I observed in 2000. My birth was as far away for me as the end of WWI at my birth. Add four years each way, and you see me in 2004 reflecting on the beginning of WWI.

My twin points are now at 1910. The Edwardian pre-war years. It won't be long (9 years) before I get into the Victorian age, as my twin in 2017 matches the year of her death, 1901.

It is remarkable to think of the events that have transpired in that twin lifetime. The history of generations risen and fallen. Empires that came and went. From Kitty Hawk (1903) to Sputnik (1958) to Apollo 11 (1969).

Comments

Popular Posts